Listen to our audio content!
Marijuana-based infusions have been around since as early as 1450 BC. The Biblical book of Exodus refers to anointing oil made from “…kaneh-bosem, a substance identified by respected etymologists, linguists, anthropologists, botanists and other researchers as marijuana.” (1) Today’s marijuana and CBD oils are prepared using far more advanced technology, offering patients the opportunity to benefit from this amazing plant in a variety of ways based on their needs and desires. One of our Florida Medical Marijuana Doctors will be able to help you decide what routes and doses are best for you. Take our 5-minute eligibility survey to find out if you pre-qualify to become a medical marijuana patient.
People have been infusing marijuana into oils and other liquids for centuries. These infusions were used ceremonially as well as medicinally. In the United States, marijuana was recognized for its medicinal properties and added to The U.S. Pharmacopoeia in 1850. It was used to treat over 100 separate illnesses or diseases and was one of the items most used as medicine until 1937, when it was criminalized .(2) In 1942, during WWII, scientists working for the US government discovered that a strong marijuana extract injected into the food or cigarettes given to prisoners of war or enemy spies functioned as a kind of truth serum, enabling them to be interrogated more effectively. (3) Modern extraction techniques using solvents to create hash oil can be traced back to the 1970s. (4)
CBD oil and marijuana oil are created by extracting the active components of the hemp or marijuana plant. There are currently 3 methods available to achieve this:
- The Ethanol Method involves soaking the marijuana or hemp in high-grade grain alcohol to extract the oil. This method also removes some beneficial components of marijuana. The resulting product is most often used to fill vape cartridges and is used by many commercial laboratories.
- CO2 Extraction is the most expensive option, but results in the purest oil. It uses supercooled and condensed carbon dioxide to cool and then extract the oil without leaving any chemicals or residue behind. This method is best for products that will be used for oral use or smoking.
- The Oil Method is popular with do-it-yourself enthusiasts because it is inexpensive and safe. Plant matter is cooked in a base oil, usually olive oil. It results in an extract that is good for cooking or using in topical preparations. (5)
What are the differences between Hemp Seed Oil, Hemp Oil, and Marijuana Oil?
Hemp Seed Oil is made from the seeds of the hemp plant. It is a good carrier oil – it can be used to dilute essential oils for massages, aromatherapy, or skin care applications. It contains no CBD but is rich in antioxidants, omega fatty acids, and amino acids. (6,7)
Hemp Oil /CBD Oil is extracted from the parts of the hemp plant high in CBD, and comes from plants containing less than 0.3% THC by dry weight. It is known for its anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties.
- Broad Spectrum CBD Oil can best be described as full spectrum CBD oil with all traces of THC removed.
- Full Spectrum CBD Oil comes from the full plant and contains CBD as well as other cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids. It can also contain trace amounts of THC, which may show up on a drug test.
- Isolates only contain pure CBD oil. Other cannabinoids including THC, terpenes, and flavonoids are all removed during the extraction process. (7)
Marijuana Oil is extracted from marijuana plants containing more than 0.3% THC. Depending on the process used, it may include part or all of the beneficial components of the plant.
- Rick Simpson Oil is made using food grade alcohol. Because of the time and temperature required to remove the alcohol, the resulting product has already been decarboxylated or activated, so it can be taken orally or sublingually instead of needing to be smoked or vaporized.
- Butane Honey Oil/BHO uses liquid butane as a solvent. The butane is later removed using one of a number of techniques. BHO is resin-like, thick and sticky. It is generally high in cannabinoids and THC. It can be dabbed or used in a portable vaporizer. (8)
- Distillates are the result of using heat to vaporize cannabinoids, stripping everything else away. This produces a highly concentrated, clean, solvent-free liquid. Unfortunately, the heat required for distillation means terpenes are destroyed; if the finished product is to include terpenes, they must be added back in after the process is complete. Without the reintroduction of terpenes, distillates are odorless and tasteless. It is important to note that distillation does not remove all pesticides and toxins, so the raw plant matter must be safe. (9)
What are the benefits of CBD Oil and Marijuana Oil?
CBD Oil has many beneficial uses.
- Helps decrease chronic pain from diseases like arthritis and MS as well as providing relief to post-surgical patients. Is effective in topical applications like creams, ointments, and massage oils.
- Exhibits neuroprotective properties, which may help patients with neurological diseases such as seizure disorder, MS, Parkinson’s, and Alzheimer’s. Not only does it decrease the severity of symptoms, but it can help these patients sleep better and experience an increased quality of life.
- Eases symptoms of depression and anxiety, as well as insomnia in patients with PTSD.
- Reduces nausea, vomiting, and pain related to cancer and its treatment.
- Can be used to help patients with substance abuse issues by decreasing their dependence on opioids.
- May help reduce acne.
- Helps lower blood pressure and reduce the symptoms of heart disease.
- Shows potential in helping reduce psychotic symptoms in patients with schizophrenia and other mental disorders.
- May help prevent the growth and spread of cancerous tumors.
- Aids blood sugar stabilization in diabetic patients by reducing insulin resistance. (10)
Marijuana Oil offers therapeutic benefits as well.
- Helps control convulsions in patients with seizure disorder, especially when the product also contains CBD.
- Helps with muscle spasticity related to Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s, Huntington’s, and other neurodegenerative disease processes.
- Decreases anxiety.
- Stimulates the appetite.
- Temporarily reduces eye pressure in patients with glaucoma.
- Eases pain, both chronic and acute.
- Promotes restful sleep, even helping decrease the incidence of nightmares in patients with PTSD by reducing the amount of time spent in the REM cycle. (11)
- Helps decrease inflammation in diseases like Crohn’s, IBS, and inflammatory bowel disease.
- Improves lung capacity – it is being studied as a possible treatment for asthma.
- Shows promise in helping patients with autism decrease the incidence of self-abusive behaviors and violent mood swings. (12)
CBD oil and Marijuana oil show promise in helping to treat a number of health conditions. Whether used on the skin, taken orally, or used to make edibles, their benefits are widespread. Medical marijuana can help re-establish balance and harmony in your body’s systems and improve your quality of life. Finding the right dose, route, and product for you may take some time, but the results will be worth the effort.