Listen to our audio content!
Medical Marijuana May Offer Relief for Women Suffering from PCOS
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a health condition that affects 1 out of 10 women of childbearing age. If you or someone you know are suffering from PCOS, medical marijuana might be a great option for relief. By taking a quick and easy pre-eligibility survey, you will know in minutes if you are eligible for your Florida Medical Marijuana Card. Our team of qualified Florida Medical Marijuana Doctors are here to help you find the relief you have been looking for.
What is PCOS?
Polycystic ovary syndrome is a condition in which the ovaries produce an abnormal amount of male sex hormones, called androgens. Androgens are usually present in women in small amounts, but larger quantities can result in complications. It got its name because it describes the small cysts (fluid-filled sacs) that develop in the ovaries.
The ovaries produce an egg that is released every month during a healthy menstrual cycle, but with PCOS, the egg may not develop as it should or it could be released incorrectly during ovulation. Women who are diagnosed with PCOS are at higher risk of heart disease, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and high blood pressure.
Some of the symptoms of PCOS include:
- Irregular menstrual cycle. Those with PCOS might miss periods or have fewer than eight periods in a year. Or, their periods may come more often than usual. Some women with PCOS stop having menstrual periods all together.
- Pelvic Pain
- Hirsutism, or Too much hair on the face, chin, or parts of the body where men usually have hair. This affects up to 70% of women with PCOS.
- Acne that occurs on the face, chest, and upper back
- Hair loss or thinning hair on the scalp; male-pattern baldness
- Weight gain or difficulty losing weight
- Darkening of skin, particularly along neck creases, in the groin, and underneath breasts
- Skin tags in the armpits or neck area
The exact cause of PCOS isn’t known but there are some factors that might play a role including:
- Genetics. Research suggests that certain genes might be linked to PCOS, making it a hereditary issue.
- Excess androgen. The ovaries produce abnormally high levels of androgen, resulting in hirsutism and acne.
- Low-grade inflammation. Research has shown that women with PCOS have a type of low-grade inflammation that stimulates polycystic ovaries to produce androgens, which can lead to heart and blood vessel problems.
- Excess insulin. Insulin is the hormone produced in the pancreas that allows cells to use sugar. If your cells become resistant to insulin, then your blood sugar levels can rise which can lead to your body producing more insulin. Excess insulin can increase androgen production, causing difficulty with ovulation.
While there is no cure for PCOS, diet, exercise, prescriptions, and medical marijuana can help control the symptoms.
The Endocannabinoid System (ECS) and the Female Reproductive System
The endocannabinoid system (ECS) is a biological system that is composed of endocannabinoids, whic areendogenous lipid-based neurotransmitters, that bind to both cannabinoid receptors (CBRs) and cannabinoid receptor proteins that are expressed throughout the central nervous system and peripheral nervous system. While the ECS is known to help regulate pain and anxiety, it also has an impact on the female reproductive system where it affects folliculogenesis, oocyte maturation, and ovarian endocrine secretion. In addition, the ECS affects oviductal embryo transport, implantation, uterine decidualization and placentation. 
Managing PCOS Symptoms with Medical Marijuana
A 2018 article published in Medical News Today showed animal studies that have demonstrated CBD’s pain relieving and anti-inflammatory effects. Receptors in the brain and immune system are affected by CBD, which leads to a possible reduction in inflammation.
Terpenes, an essential part of the cannabis plant, have also shown to have anti-inflammatory effects.  With the combination of cannabinoids like cannabidiol (CBD), tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), cannabigerol (CBG), cannabinol (CBN) and terpenes such as linalool, limonene, myrcene, and alpha-pinene, the entourage effect is produced. This is thought to produce the best quality relief from cannabis.
The best strains for inflammation are
- Charlotte’s Web
Pelvic pain can present itself in very different ways for women and can sometimes become debilitating. This type of nociceptive pain can be decreased by reducing the pain signals at the site by blocking the inflammatory process or the signals they generate. Another way is it can dampen their effects as they make their way up the spinal cord to the brain. Marijuana can target both of these processes and as a result it can reduce pain.
The best strains for managing pain are:
- Blue Dream
- Granddaddy Purple
A recent study that observed how skin reacted to CBD-based products found every single one of their participants had noticeably better skin in just two weeks. Another promising study was published in The Journal of Clinical investigation. In this study, researchers measured the effects of CBD on human skin samples and oil-producing glands in a laboratory. It showed that CBD helped regulate the amount of sebum, or oil, the skin produced, having a positive effect on acne.
The best products for managing acne are
- CBD Capsules
- CBD Facial Oils
- Marijuana Topical Creams
In order to be able to legally purchase medical marijuana products in Florida, you must first qualify for your medical marijuana card. By booking an appointment, you are taking the initiative to improve your symptom management for your PCOS. At this risk-free appointment, one of our compassionate physicians will go over your condition and how medical marijuana can help you.
If the physician qualifies you for a medical marijuana recommendation and the Office of Medical Mairjuana use approves you for purchasing medical marijuana products, you can visit any state-certified Medical Marijuana Treatment Center (MMTC), also known as a dispensary. This is where you can legally purchase medical marijiuana products mentioned above to finally receive the relief you deserve.