Listen to our audio content!
October is Emotional Wellness Month and with the current tone of the world it is imperative that people begin taking it seriously. Emotional wellness is critical for both our physical health and our emotional well-being. Nearly one in five U.S. adults live with a mental illness. If you or someone you love is dealing with the daily burdens mental illnesses can cause, take a quick survey to see if you qualify for a Florida Medical Marijuana Recommendation for Medical Cannabis Promote Emotional Wellness.
Emotional wellness is critical to our well-being and health. Your Florida Medical Marijuana Doctor can help guide you in the right direction for using medical cannabis to help relieve symptoms of a mental health disorder. This along with practicing emotional wellness can put you on the right path to living a healthy and happy life.
What is Emotional Wellness?
According to the National Center for Emotional Wellness, the term refers to an awareness, understanding, and acceptance of your emotions, and your ability to manage effectively through challenges and change. Emotional wellness is often used in spiritual circles as it can often serve to fend off mental challenges – but what does it really mean to be emotionally well?
The more in tune you are with your feelings, the easier bodily awareness will be. When you listen to your emotions and your feelings, they become more reliable. Having good emotional wellness allows you to stay both present in the moment and aware of what is going on in your environment.
While the two are often confused, emotional health is an extension of mental health. Mental health correlates to the functioning of the mind, emotional health is more so our approach to life, and our ability to live a life of wellness.
It’s important to remember that emotional health is not fixed: it fluctuates over time, depending on your physical health, your experiences, and a myriad of things that might be happening in your personal, or work life. Times of great change can draw on your emotional reservoir, but the more you care for your emotional health, and build your resources, the more content you will be.
Are You Practicing Emotional Wellness?
Here are some questions to help you determine if you are maintaining a sense if Medical Cannabis Promote Emotional Wellness:
- Do you have a life purpose? When you have a reason to wake up in the morning, you generally have a sense of well being. You can also typically see the bigger picture in life. Purpose gives life meaning, whether it’s professional, family oriented, or community oriented.
- Are you grateful? Emotionally healthy people are grateful for the life they live and for everything they get to experience. They appreciate what they have and do not get caught up over what they do not. They can appreciate things other than material objects like their family, their experiences, and their health.
- Are you managing your stress? Stress can cause a domino effect on a person’s health. Those who are emotionally stable have their own ways of managing the stressors in their lives. They’re able to maintain a balance between work and play.
- How do you treat others in your life? Those who are emotionally well tend to be more sensitive and compassionate about the needs of others, both personally and professionally. They are able to identify and relate to others, making relationship building easy.
- Are you happy with the person you are? Those who are emotionally healthy are usually happy with themselves. They also tend to take care of themselves both physically and psychologically by doing what is best for them. They are tryipcally optimists and look for others who think similarly to them.
- Are you open-minded? This means that you’re self-aware and listen to the thoughts and musings of yourself and others. Also, you do not feel attached to any particular dogma or philosophy but are willing to hear the viewpoints and musings of others..
Medical Marijuana & Improving Your Emotional Wellness
According to the National Institute of Mental Health, there are six ways you can practice improving your emotional wellness. These are brightening your outlook, reducing your stress, getting a good night sleep, coping with a loss, being mindful, and strengthening your social connections. Medical marijuana has shown to help with all of these.
- Brightening your outlook: People who are emotionally well, experts say, have fewer negative emotions. Medical cannabis patients showed a 50% reduction in depression and a 58% reduction in anxiety and stress following cannabis use according to this study.
- Reducing your stress: Everyone feels stressed from time to time – it’s a natural part of life. But if stress lasts a long time—a condition known as chronic stress—it can become harmful. At low doses, marijuana has been shown to relieve stress.
- Getting a good night sleep: We as humans tend to sacrifice a good nights sleep in order to put our time elsewhere. But sleep affects both a person’s mental and physical health. When you’re tired, you can’t function at your best. Sleep helps you think more clearly, have quicker reflexes and focus better. One 2018 study concluded that medical cannabis consumption “is associated with significant improvements in perceived insomnia with differential effectiveness and side effect profiles, depending on the product characteristics.”
- Coping with a loss: Losing someone you love can really cause emotional burden to a person. There is no right or wrong way to mourn. Cannabis can help a person calm their anxiety and think about the positive impact their lost loved one had on their lives.
- Being mindful: This ancient practice is about being completely aware of what’s happening in the present—of all that’s going on inside and all that’s happening around you Becoming a more mindful person requires commitment and practice. Cannabis can help you wash away anxiety as well as making you more present in the moment. It is commonly used hand-in-hand with meditation.
- Strengthening your social connections: Scientists are finding that our links to others can have powerful effects on our health—both emotionally and physically. Whether with romantic partners, family, friends, neighbors, or others, social connections can influence our biology and well-being. While medical marijuana cannot be shared under Florida laws, it does open up an opportunity for us to find more people who share similar interests as you.
If you find yourself curious about how Medical Cannabis Promote Emotional Wellness for medical cannabis, can help aid you in staying emotionally well, you might be able to qualify for your Florida Medical Marijuana License. You must meet these requirements to be approved by the state in order to receive your medical Marijuana card:
- Be a permanent or seasonal Florida resident
- Be diagnosed with a qualifying medical condition by a qualified physician
- Be entered into the Medical Marijuana Use Registry
- Obtain a Medical Marijuana Use Registry Identification Card
The following conditions have been approved by the state to qualify you for your medical marijuana recommendation:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Crohn’s disease
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Medical conditions of the same kind or class as or comparable to the others listed.
- A terminal condition diagnosed by a physician other than the qualified physician issuing the physician certification.
- Chronic nonmalignant pain caused by a qualifying medical condition or that originates from a qualifying medical condition and persists beyond the usual course of that qualifying medical condition.
If you meet those requirements, take the first step to finding emotional wellness by booking an appointment with one of DocMJ’s many qualified physicians located throughout the state.